To report an animal control issue please contact Shelter Island Town Animal Control Officer, Beau Payne, directly at 631-749-5771 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an immediate animal-related emergency dial 911.
The Shelter Island Police Department manages animal-related incidents for the Town of Shelter Island. Beau Payne is the town's Animal Control Officer and he responds to animal-related calls and is charged with the responsibility of enforcing local laws that pertain to dog control within the town.
The Animal Control Officer will respond to and take appropriate action on dog complaints as outlined in the Town Code (chapter 55), NYS Agricultural and Markets Law and other complaints (see Town dog laws below.)
SHELTER ISLAND DOG LAWS
(A quick review)
1. All dogs are required to be licensed.
2. Dogs are prohibited on Town beaches between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Dogs are allowed at some Town landings. Please check with the Animal Control Officer.
3. When off premises, dogs must be leashed or under immediate and reasonable control of their owners.
4. No dog shall create a noise disturbance at any time.
5. Dogs shall be impounded for violations including being unlicensed, running at large, vicious bites and being a general nuisance.
6. Impounded dogs can be redeemed by their owners only if licenses are up to date and kennel fees are paid.
SHELTER ISLAND TOWN
Dog Licenses may be obtained at the Town Clerk's office during normal business hours 9am-4pm.
The Town Clerk's office is located at 38 North Ferry Road, Shelter Island, NY. (631)749-1166
Additionally, to obtain a dog license at time of application, you must bring Proof of Rabies Vaccination and Proof of Spay/Neuter.